Recently, I visited Chicago for the first time. My best friend had a big birthday coming up, and decided she wanted to spend it in a new city with some of her favourite girls. It was a whirlwind, filled with lots of amazing food, craft beer, and most importantly, laughter and hijinks.
The city is gorgeous; everywhere you look, there’s something amazing to catch your eye. Beware, though. Given how much time I spent looking up, up, up, it’s amazing I didn’t come away with a huge pain in my neck… or stumble into something.
Other cities take note: if your downtown core smelled of chocolate, I bet tourism would increase. I never thought I’d miss how a city smells! And Chicago really knows how to create green space among the plaster and concrete, with lovely patios, planters, and lush boulevards. It’s truly a beautiful place to spend some time.
A few highlights:
- The Improvised Shakespeare Company – Even more clever and funny than I’d hoped. If I lived in Chicago, I’d be here every week.
- Architectural River Cruise – Folks, this city is gorgeous (and it smells like chocolate). The river cruise is a great way to see and learn all about the city, and the tour run by the Chicago Architecture Cruise is nerdily wonderful (are you sensing a theme yet?)
- Sai Cafe – Generally agreed to be the best sushi anyone at the table had ever had… outside of Japan.
- Donut Vault – There may have been a day where all our calories came from this heavenly little spot.
- Three Dots and a Dash – a fun little tiki bar with dangerously delicious cocktails.
And yet there was so much I missed out on, so I can’t wait to go back.
PS – new items coming to the shop this week!